With summer on our minds, many of us get caught up in the excitement and forget one of the most important things during this season – SPF & SUN PROTECTION!
Here are ways to keep yourself protected, hydrated and healthy that are easy and just plain good for you…
1) Apply a moisturizer with a minimum of SPF 15 to your face post-morning cleanse. If you use a special cream without SPF, apply an oil-free sunscreen first, followed by the moisturizer. Sunny, cloudy or rainy, it does not matter. UV rays are always there to shine down on you.
DON’T FORGET TO PUT SPF ON: Your ears, underneath your chin on your upper neck and right by your hair line.
2) Before your dress, caress with sunscreen. We all wear clothes in the summer that expose more of our arms, legs, backs and upper torso. Aside from your face, protect other areas from premature aging, painful sunburns and sun spots. Remember to reapply every few hours too.
3) Lock your lips with SPF balm. Hit the drug store and purchase a basic lip balm with SPF 15 in it. Go with a clear one, which you can apply to your lips and allow to absorb before putting on coloured lip gloss or lip stick. A simple boost of protection you can take with and apply throughout the day.
4) Shield your eyes with shades. Wearing sunglasses in the summer is key. They protect your eyes from the damaging effects of sunlight. They help to prevent sun headaches and shade the extremely thin skin in your delicate eye area.
5) Hat your head. Hats do not have to be geeky or ruin your outfit. Go with a vintage sun hat or a baseball cap you love and wear it when you are in the sun for hours at a time. Hats help to prevent sunstroke and scalp burns. If you are not a hat person, wear a funky bandana!
6) Water is wonderful. Make sure you incorporate water into your daily routine. If you keep forgetting to up your water intake, create a reminder system so you remain hydrated. To keep costs down, purchase a reusable water bottle to fill up! No one enjoys being heat sick.
7) Love the layers. Yes, it is hot out, so the last thing you are thinking about is layering up. Try to bring along a light long-sleeved shirt, wrap or cardigan around with you though. Cover up when you can to help protect your skin from sunburns and sunstroke.
Protect, prevent and hydrate – it will make your summer even better! Enjoy!