For the first time in three years, I had a main squeeze to spend Valentine’s Day with. My boyfriend and I shared an amazingly romantic evening together to celebrate and it certainly made me grateful to have such a wonderful man in my life. It also made me think a lot about love and how our actions make our loved ones feel all year round.
When I think of loved ones, I don’t just narrow it down to spouses and significant others. I think of family, friends, colleagues and even those acquaintances that have been in our lives for years. Everyone plays a purpose in our lives and each individual has a unique power to bring joy to it, no matter who it is and how they are connected to you.
There is that famous saying: “Treat those the way you wish to be treated.” I firmly believe in this policy. The more kindness and respect you show to others, the more they will show it to you. And somewhere among all of this mutual respect and kindness, good karma will enter the picture. I truly believe in this idea of good karma as well.
Aside from the usual good deeds and support I try to provide to all of my loved ones, I actually came up with a list of things one could do to bring love and happiness to others, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. Just remember though – it is the little things that count…
1) Say that simple thank you – To everyone, from your significant other to your family to your best friend to the Starbucks barista.
2) Flash those pearly whites at people who look glum – It could be a busy sales rep at your favourite clothing store or a frustrated mobile customer service rep. Giving them a smile will ease their stress and might even make them smile!
3) Tell at least one person a day that you love them – Your parents, siblings, significant other or even a friend. It will bring cheer to their day.
4) Send an email to a long-lost friend – You may not regain the friendship you once had, but it will warm the person’s heart once they know and hear that you are thinking about them.
5) Hugging is sometimes the best therapy – Okay, not everyone is into hugs, but sometimes, a good hug from another feels great.
6) Acknowledge other people’s special days – Birthdays, graduations, engagements, wedding days, work promotions, arrival of new babies… whatever it is, take a few minutes to make that phone call, write that email, post on their Facebook wall or whatever you would like to show them that you care.
There are probably many other ways to show your loved ones how much you care about them. This is only the beginning! Love, in any way, shape or form, is like a rose. It is beautiful, delicate and sweet!