I don’t know what it is about the summer time, but something about this season sparks the travel bug in most people. However, traveling can happen all year around, whether you are jetting off for work, escaping the cold winters to a hot destination, or taking that road trip that was inspired by your favourite childhood novel. Whatever the reason may be, travel is a constant activity in our lives. This is why I have decided to do a series of travel-focused posts, starting with this one – how to pack well and proper for your upcoming trip!
1) Make a packing list, base it on the trip you are taking AND plan out your outfits. Think about the type of trip you are taking, the length of the trip, and what you will require for each day of the trip. For example, if you are going on a Caribbean vacation for a week, you may want to pack an outfit with each evening, plus at least 4 bathing suits so you have a dry one to put on each day. Always take extra undergarments, pack two extra outfits in case of any dirty spills or change in weather, and multi-purpose your shoes so your suitcase is easier to pack and carry. And if you need to, take your outfit planning to the next level by trying things on in advance and pairing things up.
2) Multi-purpose your packed wardrobe. Take some articles of clothing that you can wear on more than one occasion. For example, a black or white cardigan is perfect for day and night time to keep you warm and the shades are neutral and match with any outfit. Pack jeans or pants that you can do a repeat wear with – you can always freshen up an outfit with a new shirt.
3) Roll, fold, and protect accordingly. When you pack, not only do you want to maximize space BUT you want to pack your clothes that prevents them from getting wrinkled or damaged. For softer items of clothing, roll them up. For stiffer items, fold them and put them at the bottom of the suitcase to keep them as flat as possible. For delicate items (such as a cocktail dress or a men’s suit), package them up in a garment bag, then fold over once and pack carefully in the suitcase, preferably in the middle on top of the stiffer items.
4) Do the double stuffing for the shoes. To keep your shoes in their best form as you travel, stuff the toes of your shoes, minus your runners. This is key for all dress shoes, as it maintains the shape. After you stuff the shoes, put them into plastic bags so any dust or dirt from the bottom of the shoes is kept away from your clothes and other items. Once you complete those two steps, stuff the shoes in your suitcase where there is appropriate space.
5) Go with toiletries that are travel-sized and travel-safe. When traveling, always opt to travel-sized items as they are easy to pack. In addition to the size, make sure your toiletries are packed for safe travels. This means the following: tape closed all bottles and tubes, then put them into sealed plastic bags for further protection. As much as this may be time-consuming, it is better than having a shampoo explosion in your suitcase.
6) Keeping it fresh. A simple way to keep your clothes and the inside of your suitcase fresh and smelling amazing, put a couple of laundry sheets or a drawer or closet air freshener inside the suitcase. It makes a huge difference.
Got any other great packing tips? Please share below in the comments section!