When I was a little girl, my grandmother introduced me to her deliciously sweet and warm Sweet Potato, Apple and Cranberry Casserole – a dish that has become a requested favourite of mine and my siblings. Due to the dish’s popularity in my family, my mom took up the recipe from my grandmother years ago and makes sure it is always on the menu as a part of our family’s holiday dinners. As much as a juicy turkey does not taste the same without gravy, the turkey at my family’s holiday dinners do not taste the same without this casserole!
Aside from its yummy taste and the feeling of comfort you get as you eat it up, this Sweet Potato, Apple and Cranberry Casserole is just as wonderful for the chef because it is extremely simple to make. The hardest thing you will have to do is cut up sweet potato OR to make it even easier, purchase the canned sweet potatoes. Trust me, it is hard to mess it up!
SWEET POTATO, APPLE & CRANBERRY CASSEROLE
6 Sweet Potatoes, cooked & peeled OR 2 (18 oz.) cans of Sweet Potatoes, drained & cut
1 (21 oz.) can of Apple Pie Filling (If you LOVE apples, use 1.5 cans)
1 (8 oz.) can of Cranberry Sauce
1) Cut up fresh sweet potatoes OR open up the canned sweet potatoes, sprinkle a dash or two of cinnamon (depending on your love of cinnamon) and arrange half of your potatoes on the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish.
2) Open up the can (or two, depending on your love of apples) of apple pie filling and arrange over top the first layer of sweet potatoes.
3) Arrange the remaining sweet potatoes over top of the layer of apple pie filling.
4) Spoon the cranberry sauce over top of the casserole to finish it off the final layer.
5) Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
6) Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve – this recipe in an 8×8 baking dish makes 6 to 8 servings. For a larger crowd, double the recipe and use a larger baking dish.
For the previous Domestic Recipe post on the Complete Cobb Salad, CLICK HERE