Nothing is better and more comforting in the morning than a nice, warm, gooey bowl of oatmeal! Yes, oatmeal has a mixed reputation – some people swear by it for breakfast, while others are not into the texture or taste. However, I find it is a sweet treat to start my day with and even better, it is PACKED full of whole grains and nutrients, and has been deemed at a heart healthy food item as it has been proven to assist in lowering cholesterol.
This morning, I was debating on what to have for breakfast, so I began to brainstorm what I could make that would be quick and easy. I noticed there was a large tin of plain oats from Quaker Oats in the cupboard, so I grabbed the tin and came up with my own homemade recipe for Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal – a DIY version of the pre-made oatmeal packages you can actually buy from Quaker Oats. The only difference – it tastes even better because it is homemade!
Here is my quick, easy, delicious and nutritious oatmeal recipe:
HOMEMADE MAPLE & BROWN SUGAR OATMEAL
3/4 Cup of Quaker Oats – Old Fashioned Oats
1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon of White Sugar
1/2 Cup of Hot Water
2 tablespoons of Pure Maple Syrup
Optional: You can add in nuts, cut-up bananas, peaches, apples or berries to the oatmeal once the oatmeal is fully prepared.
1) Put water into a kettle and heat it up to a boil.
2) While water is boiling, combine the Quaker Oats, the brown sugar, and white sugar into a cereal bowl.
3) Once the water is boiled, measure out a 1/2 cup of the water and pure it into the cereal bowl. Stir the oat mix and water together until you get a thickened and gooey oatmeal.
4) After you get the oatmeal to a consistency of your liking, stir in the maple syrup until it is fully absorbed into the oatmeal.
5) Let the oatmeal cool for 2 minutes, then enjoy!
6) If you are a nut and/or fruit fan, feel free to add in nuts, cut-up bananas, peaches, apples and/or berries to the oatmeal.
This recipe makes 1 breakfast serving
For the previous Domestic Recipe post on the Tangy Sweet & Sour Meatballs, CLICK HERE