This winter keeps getting colder and colder and nothing feels better than a hot beverage to warm up your chilled bones after being outside. Aside from the energy jolts of caffeine that I get from my morning cup o’joe, my other favourite hot drink (since childhood actually) is a classic hot chocolate. Sometimes, nothing is better than the sweet taste of chocolate, combined with milk and your choice of whipped cream or vanilla icing powder on top.
Here is a simple way to make hot chocolate in the comfort of your own home…
HOMEMADE HOT CHOCOLATE
1/4 Cup of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/2 Cup of Granulated Sugar
1/3 Cup of Hot Water
4 Cups of Milk (Dairy or non-dairy)
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
Optional: You can add whipped cream or marshmallows on top of the hot chocolate for extra, sweet goodness.
1) Combine the cocoa, sugar and water in a medium saucepan.
2) Over medium heat, stir constantly until the mixture boils. Cook, stirring consistently for 1 minute.
3) Add in the milk, stir thoroughly, and heat up the mixture (DO NOT BOIL).
4) Remove from the heat, add the vanilla extract and stir.
5) Pour into your mug of choice and serve immediately.
6) Add fresh whipped cream or marshmallows to the top for extra sweetness if you’d like.
This recipe makes 5 cup of hot chocolate
For the previous Domestic Recipe post on Homemade Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal, CLICK HERE